A Progressive Rural Community, the Town of Washburn, with a population of 560, is conveniently located along Highway 13, adjacent to the cities of Washburn and Ashland. Primarily residential and agricultural, the Town is 12 miles south of Bayfield Wisconsin and 80 miles east of Duluth Minnesota.
Recreational opportunities abound with Lake Superior and Chequamegon Bay on our doorstep and several large river systems nearby. The Iron River and Mount Valhalla hiking/riding trails, the Chequamegon National Forest and the extraordinary Apostle Island are all within a short driving distance. With our close proximity to several larger communities, we have access to outstanding schools, churches, excellent medical facilities, great shopping, services, and fine restaurants.
The Town of Washburn, created in 1884, was probably named for Cadwaller C. Washburn, governor of Wisconsin from 1872-1874 and founder of Gold Medal Flour. The original township included the present City of Washburn, but in 1904 the city was incorporated and the town formed its own government.
The Town Hall is located at: 30015 Co Hwy C., Washburn, WI 54891